Friday, April 16, 2010

No food to eat

As of lately, we've run into real money problems. It's really hard in this economy to stay above water. Paying rent, computer/internet, gym, student loan, gas, credit card paying off, car insurance, and groceries is just impossible. My student loan is expensive, so I filed papers for deferment.
So we had to go use a food bank. And that depressed me. I was down to 24 dollars in my bank account, and that barely covers anything not to mention my insurance, and all else above mentioned. So I used Feeding America. There was a ton of stuff in the family box, lots of canned veggies (which I snobbishly dislike and prefer fresh or frozen but when you are poor you can't be picky), peanut butter, fresh rolls, juice, huge frozen pizza, a bag of fresh spinach or kale I'm not sure which. a huge bag of soft rolls, a huge chocolate cake, orange juice, lots of tuna, cans of chicken, can a shrimp, dry milk, a huge box of variety oatmeal, mac and cheese boxes, spaghetti and bow tie pasta, about 3 jars of different pasta sauces, dried split peas, apple sauce, mixed fruit cups, a lot of soup, baked beans...random small mini candys were in the box.
They also gave us a list of other food banks. We used another one the next week with similar results. Lots of stuff and very nice helpful people.
I just have to to still purchase fresh vegetables and my vegan milks and yogurts and vegetarian meat. I wish the food banks gave out some healthier stuff like fresher foods. But honestly when you have 24 dollars in your bank account you can't be as picky as you normally are, and you learn to deal for a short amount of time. You learn to eat what you have, not what you want. There are certain things i refuse to cut like the gym and internet. I need to gym to be healthy, and I need the internet to look for jobs and such.
The economy sucks. But I am grateful there are places like this out there to help those in need. I never thought I would need a food bank, ever. Using a food bank was a very humbling experience.
It's hard not being able to keep up with those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment