Sunday, January 3, 2010

Avatar Review (contains mild spoilers but nothing really)

First off, I hate CGI........
I know.
I can't stand it. I think it's normally over-saturated and I just end up feeling very disconnected from the movie. I hate The Matrix, I hate Star Wars, (but like the original trilogy better then the newer more CGI 00s trilogy), and while I like the story in LOTRs, each of those movies could have easily been an hour shorter each.
So I went to see Avatar, Darrell wanted to see it. I was meh about it, but we had free tickets to AMC and you can only use them on movies that have been out for two weeks, so that didn't leave much options.
OK, so I'll admitt. Avatar is breathtaking. The scenery and images are great. It did look like I was watching Planet Pandora on Blu-Ray. But you know what that can't and shouldn't hold the movie.
I didn't see it in 3d or Imax.
But that is were the problem is. I felt there wasn't much else to the movie. The plot "
A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home" (as taken from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499549/)
OK, sure thats there, but the film is abough 60% CGI and about 40% real. I'd venture to say it's far more like 75% CGI.
The plot...
It was was cliche ridden.....for real.
I'm tired of Hollywood using this HUGE "save the evironement, global warming, go green, theme". And I'm into being green. But I don't want it shoved down my throat.
So the Navi have nothing, so therefore they are one and in touch with nature, mystical, and are able to communicate with animals? Like even if they go to ride an animal they become with it and communicate that way. Really? Cliche much.
Then here we go, the humans and mainly the Americans see profit and $$$ and we just smash and crush everything to get it. Yeah I know I get it, we suck as a race and should change and be nicer, but it's never going to happen. (Same thing with D9, of course that would happen!). The wheelchair bound ex marine suddenly gets legs via his Avatar...(wow, cliche!) and suddenly feels more connected to that. He has to take over because apparenlty making these Avatar is a buttload of money, and connected to your DNA, and his PhD twin bother was supposed to use this one, but he died. So they figure to just use him. I really can't see that happening, since he's not trained for it but OK.
I guess I like the the underlying theme that love can happen anywhere besides what you look like and love the person "bonded for life" or whatever, but I'm also sick and tired of every movie needed to but love in it.
It was good, but it in my opinion wasn't anywhere as good as people say. It was good, but I can't help but feel as if I've already seen this before.
I dunno it was good but not THAT good.

1 comment:

  1. I'd see it on tv for free later on this year but not a fan of cgi either. I outgrew fantasy films years ago. I don't know why everyone is so OMG about this movie. I guess you gotta be in to that kinda shit *shrug*

    I'd rather see Sherlock Holmes or Precious if its stil in theatres. Real people acting. lol

    ReplyDelete