Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Marriage Equality Should Happen

I am not homosexual, but that doesn't stop me from feeling very passionate about this subject. I am not the best organizer with my thoughts, but bear with me please.
Most of the people on the anti-gay marriage side site their Bible; and religious rules about marriage. This frightens me, and I worry it could slippery slope into somewhere I don't want to be. Your own personal religion should NEVER be used to make laws that GOVERN all. What is to stop someone else from citing their religion and saying "Cheating wives should be stoned to death..."
Marriage is not a religious thing. Some call it a union between man, woman and God. OK, sure to some it is that. But not to everyone. Atheists, and Agnostics get married, some people get married underwater, some get married jumping out planes or dressed up like Klingons. There are plenty of marriages that are recognized and that are valid today that had nothing to do with God, church or religion. So should all of those marriages be revoked, and invalid? Should court houses stop performing marriages? If it wasn't a religious ceremony should it be a civil union? But that's not even fair, because there can be gay religious marriages.
They say that the point of marriage to procreate. Well; what about those who can't have kids (either because of age, a disease or surgical sterilization), or those who simply don't want to. Should they also not be married?
Catholics disagree with divorce, and refuse to remarry divorced people (Mark 10 1-12). I don't see them forcing everyone else to constitutionally agree with this archaic argument.
People on the anti-gay marriage side; say that being homosexuality and gay marriage is confusing to kids. So is algebra and I don't see anyone rallying to pull that out schools. I think a "civil union" is more confusing.
To get all up knotted up over one or two little verse in the Bible is ridiculous to me. There are plenty of bible verses that people ignore and have forgotten about. Lets go over some of them.
Deuteronomy 22:13 basically states says a marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed.
Leviticus 21:18-21
basically states that no man with a crooked nose/defect shall be allowed near the Lords table or be a priest.
Deuteronomy 22:22 basically states if an affair happens that both adulterers
be stoned to death.
Deuteronomy 22:11 basically says never wear clothes made of wool and linen woven together.
Mark 12:18-27 basically states that if a man dies childless that his widow is ordered by law that she has to have sex with each of this bothers until she bears a child.
Leviticus 11:7 says about how pigs are unclean and even touching their skin is unclean and a sin (cough, football, cough cough)
The bible is full of underage marriages, sex with prostitutes, concubines, I don't want this to be about religion, but it is obviously is for some.
If you're going to say that these versus don't apply anymore, well then, who made that choice and who picked what we get to ignore in the Bible. Even if in your deepest heart of hearts you think it's a sin a it's wrong. Its simply unfair, and outright discrimination to deny someone this basic civil right because you don't like it or don't agree with it. While our nation is one nation under God, it's not governed entirely by the Bible, and I'm glad it's not. I want freedom. I want liberties. I don't want laws that involve personal choices.
Let's all be honest straight marriage is no Normal Rockwell, Donna Reed picture perfect painting. There are people who are married and are in open/swinger relationships. There are people who are polygamists (which I know the Mormon church doesn't agree with but I don't see as much rallying to stop that, and I think that's far more confusing).
Most straight marriages fail, with affairs, and a bunch of other things, divorce confuses kids, should that be illegal too?
They say you aren't born that way and its unnatural. What about people with both sexual organs who are they allowed to marry? What about all the cases of homosexuality in the animal kingdom. What about animals that change sexes and don't have one designated sex. My fish can be either male or female depending on the day.
Marriage for all should happen. I hope I see it happen in my life time, much sooner than later. I see no reason anyone can't get married. (as long as both parties are of age). Don't even start the whole "What if I want to marry my goat then" argument, it's grasping at straws, and I can't even come up with a retort to something that silly.
I'd love feedback from both sides. I just thought we were supposed to love each other and treat each other with love and peace like Jesus would. And I don't see that happening.
If you live in NJ please do the right thing. A civil union is not the same thing. You can not be separate and equal. It's giving citizens 2nd class treatment, and it's blatant discrimination.
Please respect peoples choice to be different than yourself, you don't have to agree to it, or participate in it, just allow them to be.

1 comment: